Today I’m with Lauren from Flowers with Love talking all things wedding flowers and questions to ask your florist.
Firstly how did you get into floristry what’s your story?
I have always had a passion for flowers, nature and the outdoors and I come from a family of keen gardeners.
Being a creative person it definitely seemed the right path to take and so I began my training in 2007 at Writtle College, studying Floristry and Horticulture and 13 years later I am still enjoying it just as much!
What’s your style?
I have a naturalistic style, I enjoy creating arrangements that draw inspiration from country gardens and I love blending colours and textures.
How do you like to work with clients?
I like to establish strong relationships with my clients, I feel it is really important to get to know each other so that I can make the best recommendations for them and I work closely with them to share their vision for the special day.
Do you offer packages or are they all bespoke?
They are all bespoke, every wedding is as individual as the special couple and I feel it works best to offer my clients the flexibility and uniqueness they deserve.
How long does it take; from getting together for ideas; to ordering?
I can work to a timescale that best suits my client.
So taking that into account, how far in advance should couples be booking a florist?
It is a good idea to book a florist as soon as you have your wedding date secured, this will increase your chances of your vendor being available and gives as much time as possible for meetings and discussions.
How much do your packages/bespoke flowers start from?
I offer completely individual pricing and so it depends on the size of the wedding, flower choices and season.
I can work to any budget without compromising on quality or vision.
What advice can you give to couples before booking a florist?
I would recommend booking a face to face meeting, it is important to have a florist that understands your dream day as much as you do.
Make sure you gather ideas of what you like and dislike and go to any meetings armed with as much information & photos as you can.
Colour schemes and themes are often a good starting point.
You can check out more of Lauren’s work at www.flowerswithloveessex.co.uk
Questions to ask your florist
- Are they available for your wedding date? – Yes I know an obvious one but you never know!
- When meeting your florist for the first time, like Lauren said, make sure you have the inspiration for your dream flowers handy, the more the better.
- Make sure you ask what flowers are in season for your wedding month, as this will affect the price. If your favourite must have flowers are not in season, can they be got hold of?
- Ask what style of florist they are, do they align with your style of wedding?
- Ask to see photographs of previous work (or stalk them on Instagram, just make sure it is their own work!)
- See how many weddings they will be doing the same weekend as yours.
- Ask if their prices include set up and any vases used.
- Book your chosen florist when you have secured your date at a venue, giving you plenty of time for your consultations.
- Where will your flowers be delivered? The venue, your home or both?
- Will they set up at the ceremony venue and then transfer to the reception venue?
- How will the flowers need to be looked after before your ceremony starts?
- Make sure you are clear on when the deposit and payments are due.
Check out my blog on What flowers are in season for my wedding?
Thanks for Reading
x Jodie x