Meet The Supplier
Here at Ella Bella I love to find suppliers that are unique and special and these are definitely two words I would use to describe our meet the supplier for this week. Hatchfully Yours creates beautifully hand carved eggshells for sentimental and bespoke wedding keepsakes. Let’s find out more please welcome Sheeba Kukreja.
Tell me a bit about you and how you got to where you are today?
Hi Jodie, before I start I’d love to say a big thank you for featuring me on your blog. Its an honour.
I am an Essex based artist, who has had an ongoing love affair with eggshells for over 7 years. Its taken me a lot of practice, patience, perseverance not to mention hundreds, if not thousands of broken eggshells and a lot of messy accidents to achieve the level of skill and confidence and quality in craftsmanship when carving eggshells.
Where did the inspiration come from for these extraordinary pieces?
I’ve always been a creative child. While my siblings enjoyed Math and science, I loved art. As a kid I loved drawing and watching Disney cartoons and animated movies. I enjoyed them so much that I went on to study animation in university.
To be able to answer this question in the best way possible I’d like to take you back a few years into my past. It was when my husband and me decided to tie the knot in 2010 when we were looking for unique gifts for close family and friends and very special guests. I was inspired by the idea of working with a bespoke artisan boutique on very exquisite and meaningful keepsakes for everyone. Something I might have never seen before. I didn’t know what I was looking for but I knew what ever it was it had to make me go ‘wow’ and it had to pull at my heartstrings instantly. I wasn’t looking for jewellery pieces, or personalised pendents, glassware, or personalised wallets. I was looking for something I would have never seen before that would not just impress our families and friends but also leave them shell shocked and feeling special at the same time.
We looked and looked and to my dismay, we reached a lot of deadness and had to go with what ever we could find that was apt for the occasion.
A few years after, a little challenge from friends to try and empty and egg without craving it, was a nudge I needed in the right direction. We tried all sorts, to prick holes in the egg from knitting needles to hand drills to tooth pricks but failed and ended up with a stinky mess in the back yard. But that got me researching, trying failing and then trying again till I could blow out and eggshell. I then experimented with drilling holes to big patterns on the shells and kept breaking and cracking and chipping them in the pursuit. A lot of failed attempts and disappointments there but this has led me on a path of happy discoveries along the way and there has been no looking back since.
What type of eggs do you work with?
I carve chicken, duck, goose, quail and Ostrich eggs and can source and carve Emu eggs on special request as well. These eggs make for beautiful ornamental keepsakes to be cherish for decades.
On my website these eggs come in three categories Namely:
- Chic collection – includes chicken and duck eggshell sculptures
- Ornate collection – includes goose eggshell sculptures
- Opulence collection – include ostrich and Emu sculptures.
How long do they take you you make?
Processing times depends on the type of egg and the intricacy of the pattern. It can take anywhere from a few hours for chicken and duck eggs to a few days for goose eggs and between 6-8 weeks for ostrich eggs.
How much do they cost?
These unique and bespoke sculpture make for very thoughtful and sentimental keepsakes for any occasion. Prices depend on intricacy of patterns, the design itself, embellishments needed etc.
Typically, the chic collection: Chicken and duck egg starts at £49.50 and this included a beautiful little glass dome. These eggshells are the most fragile among all shells and come sealed in their glass domes.
The Ornate collection: Goose egg sculptures are bigger and stronger than the chicken eggs. These typically start from £65 for a whole carved egg and come ready to display with their stands. As they are stonier shells than chicken and duck eggs they do not come with glass domes. You can purchase glass domes separately should you wish to finish the look with a dome.
The Opulence collection : Ostrich eggs start at £150 and come with unique stands. Glass domes can be ordered separately.
How can we order?
I am glad you asked. I offer three services on my website.
- The shop: The shop offers semi customisable bespoke pieces. This means if you like anything in the shop, you can order there, with an option to have personalised engravings, a choice between select embellishments etc. Once you place your order, I start working on your bespoke piece based on the options you select when placing your order.
- By appointment : This is one of my most luxurious services where I take you on a unique journey of creating a bespoke eggshell sculpture from the scratch. This might be an idea you’ve had for a while, could be something that incorporates a design that’s special to you or just something I might never have done before. These are fully customisable bespoke sculptures. Here I work closely with you to bring your ideas to life, as long the idea enable the egg to hold its own and to be shipped to you safely. I advise you along the way. My website talks about everything that’s included in this service and more.
- Bespoke Packages : I also offer bespoke packages for special occasions, weddings and events, between 5- 150 pieces but if you’d like a quotation for less than 5 pieces, I can accommodate that too. The packages page on the website gives an insight into what I offer.
As you can see these are truly remarkable and will make a beautiful unique keepsake for your wedding as a favour or thank you gifts.
Looking for more meet the suppliers? Head on over to my Bespoke Shoes blog.
Thanks for Reading
x Jodie x